Jacob Dickey is a meteorologist at WCBI-TV in Columbus, MS and a graduate student in Broadcast Meteorology at Mississippi State and a graduate from the University of Illinois. He also is pursuing a nonprofit management degree from the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Jacob has an extensive background in meteorology and education. He has interned with WCIA 3 News in Champaign, IL; KOCO 5 TV in Oklahoma City, OK and is now with ABC 33/40 in Birmingham, AL. He also is developing a nonprofit that helps bring weather curriculum in K-12 classrooms. Jacob also spends time storm chasing throughout the year. His work has been featured on national networks such as ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and CNN, as well as on many local television affiliates across the country.
Jacob has also worked for groups such as the National FFA Organization, Life.Church and with thousands of students facilitating leadership development and agricultural curriculum in public schools all around the country.
In 2012, Jacob was honored by President Obama as a White House Champions of Change for his work in community development and agricultural education. He spent time on a White House panel where he helped develop education, agricultural and economic policy with leading White House Staffers.
In his spare time, Jacob loves to travel across the country, cooking, the Green Bay Packers, Chicago Cubs, Oklahoma State football, spending time outside, visiting with friends and current news/events.
Internships and Experiences
• Provide advanced severe weather coverage through multimedia sources
• Develop educational and severe weather programming
REACH: filled in as weekend meteorologist Spring 2017, currently developing field duties
- Assist during community development and public events
- Increase professional and promotional resources for local team
- Present agricultural and leadership workshops in schools, community, industry groups
- Facilitate leadership curriculum in Washington DC over 10 weeks during summer of 2014 and 2015
- Utilize Gardner’s multiple intelligences, Kolbs Model of Experiential Learning and other varied learning styles
- Collect information and video from the field during and after severe weather events
- Assist in researching sources and working with reporters to develop packages for news media.
- Conduct agricultural and educational policy work with STEM, civic engagement and global trade
- Advocate for development of public/private partnerships in local education
- Write articles and research information for online publication on illinoishomepage.net
- Assist with on-air duties including severe weather coverage, special promotions and taped specials
- Organize funding/sponsorships and create sustainable business model to further
- Write curriculum and create weather kits that meets standards, is engaging and interactive for students K-12
- Develop LifeGroups that bring people together and focus on serving the community
- Assist in putting together services and other church functions throughout the summer
- Experience as far back as 1999 through storm spotting/chasing with local emergency manager, city leaders
- Report information and observations to local officials, emergency response organizations and local NWS
- Participate in administrative activities, parent meetings, student disciplinary action, etc.
- Enhance student understanding of agriculture’s global impact, breadth and scope of industry
- Integrate multiple Common Core, National AFNR and Next Generation Science standards into daily lessons
- Serve as FFA Advisor and organize teams for contests, activities, chapter meetings, workshops, etc.
- Host workshops/presentations/events regarding research, driving laws during term
- Serve as a youth-voice & represent peer-to-peer education nationwide through press, executive board
Awards and Honors
Coca Cola Scholars Foundation - National Scholar Recipient
American Farm Bureau - State Runner Up/National Competitor - Collegiate Discussion Meet
National FFA Organization - American Degree Recipient
Boy Scouts of America - Eagle Scout
White House - Champions of Change Recipient
US Department of Transportation - Rural Traffic Safety Curriculum National Champion
Alpha Tau Alpha Organization - Professional Inductee
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign - Deans List